The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has developed an application template for requests for the use of Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Reinvestment funds to provide nursing homes with in-person visitation aids. The Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) has developed a stream-lined nursing home application template for the approval of these funds. Use of CMP funds to aid in visitation can help improve social connections for some residents by helping to support and maintain relationships with loved ones. The following criteria must be met for state approval of allowable uses of CMP funds for in-person visitation. Completed applications should be sent to: CMPTechOrder@mass.gov.
- Facilities may use up to a maximum of $3,000 for in-person visitation aids.
- Applications must only include requests that directly address the need to facilitate in-person visits for residents.
- Applicants must only include requests for funds to purchase in-person visitation aids (i.e., tents for outdoor visitation and/or clear dividers (e.g., plexiglass or similar product)). The application should not include requests for items identified as prohibited (see list of prohibited expenses included in application template).
- Applications must ensure Life Safety Code (LSC) requirements found at 42 CFR 483.90 are met, unless waived under the PHE declaration.
- Applicants must ensure appropriate infection prevention and control practices are in place. Surfaces must be cleaned and disinfected between resident uses and CMP funds may not be used for disinfection supplies. Applicants must work with state officials to determine the appropriate level of visitation restrictions within available guidelines from the CDC (e.g., limiting the number of individuals visiting with any one resident, limitations on location of visits).
- To apply to receive CMP funds for tents, or clear dividers, please fill out the template and submit.
Funds are also available for Rest Homes from the Long Term Care Quality Improvement Fund. These funds are intended to assist facilities to help improve social connections for residents by helping to support and maintain relationships with loved ones. Rest homes must meet the same criteria for the use of funds as nursing homes (listed above). Rest homes should complete the Rest Home application template and submit it to: CMPTechOrder@mass.gov.
Please note that the application deadline is November 30, 2020.