Save the Date: 12th Annual Falls Prevention Awareness Day
Monday, September 17, 2018
Please click here for the event flyer
The Massachusetts Falls Prevention Coalition was established in 2006 by founding organizations, the Massachusetts Senior Care Association, the Home Care Alliance of Massachusetts and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, to help raise awareness about the serious problem of older adult falls and associated injuries and to promote the availability of successful prevention strategies to help reduce falls occurrences.
The Coalition is currently comprised of close to 130 individuals representing more than 80 organizations including state agencies, community-based organizations serving older adults, healthcare providers/practitioners, long term care and hospital providers, health insurers, public health researchers/epidemiologists, educators, etc.
SHARING A MISSION
Falls Coalition members are committed to the following mission:
- To increase awareness that falls are preventable;
- To support family members/caregivers, healthcare providers, and the community at large about falls prevention; and
- To reduce the incidence and severity of falls and fall-related injuries across the lifespan
HOW DOES THE COALITION WORK TOGETHER?
- We hold quarterly membership meetings that offer opportunities to network with each other, share important news around falls prevention activities/ events, and learn from occasional invited presenters about new programs and initiatives in the state focused on falls prevention and reduction. Meetings are usually held at the Mass Medical Society headquarters in Waltham.
- We host an annual Falls Prevention Awareness Day event in late September at the Massachusetts State House that coincides closely with the national recognition of falls prevention awareness each first day of the fall season that has been spearheaded by the National Council on Aging. At this lively and open gathering, Coalition members highlight the message that falls and falls injuries are preventable through educational presentations and demonstrations of evidence-based falls prevention interventions (e.g. Tai Chi) that also includes the participation of legislators, older adult consumers, community-based organizations, public health/elder services officials, health care professionals, etc. Visit our Facebook and Twitter for pictures and information from our annual event!
- We maintain regular contact through an e-mail distribution list that enables timely dissemination of pertinent information, for example, new research on evidence-based falls prevention interventions, the release of new state/federal reports on falls and falls-related data, upcoming events of interest to organizations serving older adult populations and other “at-risk for falls” populations.
HOW CAN I BECOME A MEMBER OF THE MA FALLS PREVENTION COALITION?
If you are interested in becoming a member, please contact Helen Magliozzi.