FALLS PREVENTION AWARENESS WEEK - September 21-25, 2020
The annual national observance of Falls Prevention Awareness Week is the week of September 21st through September 25th. We invite you to join the Massachusetts Falls Prevention Coalition for a live virtual falls prevention educational event hosted by State Representative Paul Tucker on Tuesday, September 22nd from 12:00 pm-12:30 pm.
Join Live Zoom Event Here: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/83996620676?pwd=SUpjYjJNVHFlOEp6SGd5TWZhZDdsQT09
Meeting ID: 839 9662 0676
MASSACHUSETTS FALLS PREVENTION COALITION
The Massachusetts Falls Prevention Coalition was established in 2006 by founding organizations, the Massachusetts Senior Care Association, the Home Care Alliance of Massachusetts and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health, to raise awareness about the serious problem of older adult falls and associated injuries and promote the availability of successful prevention strategies to help reduce falls rates in Massachusetts.
The Coalition is currently comprised of over 160 individuals representing nearly 100 organizations including state agencies, multiple types of community-based organizations serving older adults, healthcare providers/practitioners (e.g., occupational therapists, physical therapists, nurses, pharmacists), long term care and hospital providers, physical fitness experts/Tai Chi practitioners, health insurers, public health researchers/epidemiologists, educators, advocates, etc.
SHARING A MISSION
Our voluntary Falls Coalition members are committed to the following mission:
To increase awareness that falls are preventable;
To support family members/caregivers, healthcare providers, and the community at large about falls prevention; and
To reduce the incidence and severity of falls and fall-related injuries across the lifespan
HOW DOES THE COALITION WORK TOGETHER?
- We hold quarterly membership meetings that offer opportunities to network with each other, share important news around falls prevention activities/events, and learn from invited expert presenters and member presenters about their falls prevention work and new programs and initiatives. Meetings are held at the Mass Medical Society headquarters in Waltham.
- The month of September is very important to the falls prevention community and our Falls Coalition as it includes a national observance on educating how older adult falls and falls injuries can be prevented previously called Falls Prevention Awareness Day and this year known as Falls Prevention Awareness Week (FPAW). The National Council on Aging has designated the week of September 21st through September 25th 2020 as FPAW. To learn more about what you can do to promote awareness during FPAW, please visit the following website: https://www.ncoa.org/healthy-aging/falls-prevention/falls-prevention-awareness-week/
- We maintain regular contact through an e-mail distribution list that enables timely dissemination of pertinent information, for example, new research on evidence-based falls prevention interventions, the release of state/federal reports on falls and fall-related data, announcements of funding-related opportunities, upcoming events of interest to organizations serving older adult populations and other “at-risk for falls” populations, etc.
- Volunteer Coalition members maintain our Facebook and Twitter sites.
HOW CAN I BECOME A MEMBER OF THE MA FALLS PREVENTION COALITION?
If you are interested in becoming a member, please contact Helen Magliozzi.
IMPORTANT LINKS FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT FALLS PREVENTION
- MA Department of Public Health/Injury Prevention and Control Program
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- National Council on Aging
- National Institute on Aging