To: Mass Senior Care Members
From: Tara M. Gregorio, President
Re: COVID-19 Updates: HHS Updates Provider Relief Fund Requirements and Expands Relief Fund Eligibility; Updated HHS NHSN Reporting Requirements
Date: October 23, 2020
HHS Updates Provider Relief Fund Reporting Requirements
and Expands Relief Fund Eligibility
On October 22, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) announced changes to the reporting requirements and expanded the types of providers who could apply for Provider Relief Funds. Key Takeaways:
- HHS is returning to its previous definition of lost revenue, a decrease from 2019 revenue, rather than using the September 19 version which would have capped funds to a facility’s 2019 net revenue.
- HHS has created new flexibility around reporting at the parent and subsidiary level.
- HHS now is allowing private pay ALs to apply for Phase 3 awards.
- All Phase 3 applicants will have until 11:59PM EST on November 6, 2020 to submit their applications for payment consideration.
- A policy memorandum on the reporting requirement decision can be found here - PDF*.
- The amended reporting requirements guidance can be found here - PDF.*
- For updates and to learn more about the Provider Relief Program, visit: hhs.gov/providerrelief.
In an updated memo from HHS, the point-of-care testing results are now required as part of the National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) system. The HHS memo identifies that “CMS-certified long term care facilities shall submit point-of-care COVID-19 testing data, including antigen testing data, to CDC’s NHSN." To report the point-of-care test results to NHSN, facilities will need to upgrade from SAMS Level-1 access to SAMS Level-3 access. While this new requirement goes into effect immediately, AHCA has been told that enforcement discretion will be utilized until November 20th to allow time for nursing facilities to make the upgrade from Level-1 to Level-3. Nursing facilities must immediately take action to upgrade from Level-1 to Level-3 to avoid enforcement penalties and to meet this new requirement. This process can take up to four weeks, so do not delay.
If your facility is enrolled in NHSN to only report COVID-19 data then you do not have access to SAMS Level-3. If you are unsure of your NHSN access level, please contact the NHSN user support at firstname.lastname@example.org with “Enhancing Data Security” in the subject line. There are approximately 80 nursing facilities in MA that do NOT have SAMS Level-3 access. Mass Senior Care will be working with Healthcentric Advisors to reach out to those nursing facilities to assist with upgrading to SAMS Level-3.
For assistance with this process, please contact Dawn Hobill, Healthcentric Advisors at email@example.com.