The Massachusetts Senior Care Association and its member providers work to recruit, retain and support the highest quality caregiving workforce. Since the Massachusetts Legislature enacted the Nursing Home Quality Initiative, collective efforts have helped to improve vacancy and retention rates among Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs) and begun to address the critical shortage of licensed nurses.
Did You Know…
- Over 50,000 Massachusetts citizens are employed by long term care facilities, making us the state’s second largest health care employer.
- Long term care workers are committed to our residents – nearly 80% of all CNAs and nurses have been employed at the same facility for one year or longer.
- Since more than 70% of a nursing facility’s budget is used to fund salaries, a manager’s ability to offer competitive wages and benefits for nursing facility staff is largely dependent upon Medicaid reimbursement.
- Despite Medicaid underfunding, Massachusetts nursing facilities have increased nursing staff wages annually since 2000 and offer employees health and dental insurance – paying on average two thirds of the premium cost.
Currently in Massachusetts, approximately 8% of licensed nursing positions are vacant, including more than 1,400 Registered Nurses (RNs) and Licensed Practical Nurses (LPNs). The shortage in long term care is further exacerbated by an increased demand for RNs in conjunction with the rise in sub-acute care and the overall medical complexity of our resident population. Long term care providers are further confronted by one of the major challenges of our profession- the ability to attract new nurses to the long term care sector.
Mass Senior Care Workforce Initiatives:
- Massachusetts Senior Care Foundation Scholarship Program
- Long Term Direct Care Worker Scholarship Program
- Extended Care Career Ladder Initiative
- CAN DO Partnership
- English Works Campaign
- Massachusetts Nursing and Allied health Initiative
- Workforce Investment Boards
What makes Massachusetts nursing facilities great employers?
- Competitive Wages & Benefits
- Flexible Schedules
- Career Ladders/Advancement Opportunities
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Scholarship Assistance